Friday, June 01, 2007

Ignorance by Nurture not Nature

I was out with my little yesterday, enjoying a dinner when I asked her about schools. She informed me that she wanted to go to the all girls school, "but there's lots of lesbians there and I ain't hanging out with no dykes." I was in shock - it's 2007 and this is the kind of ignorance we're breeding into our children? I did my best to smooth the situation telling her that in my industry there are lots of gay people and they're just like us - that it's my belief that you're born that way so if you're straight a gay person is very unlikely to turn you. Her ignorance didn't want to be heard. Here we were at my favorite cafe and I was bright red with embarrassment since she didn't feel the need to be quiet about her beliefs.

That's when I realized being a Big isn't going to be all fun and games, it's going to be educational and eye opening. Change starts with one person.

On the other hand, JF got let go due to budget restraints so I finally was able to sneak a night away from him. We haven't seen each other in a couple months, so when he saw me he hugged me and said, "I don't think I've ever seen you look this good!" I explained that people have been saying that a lot ever since I started feeling like shit - but I've been running and eating right as to get my mind off of men these days and it seems to be working out okay for me. It was a much needed ego-boost on my behalf.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, that's the type of thing that will get you into a fistfight on the east side.

Anonymous said...

And how are the workouts going, anyways. Is fab at 26 going to become fab at 27 and so on?

Milwaukee Girl said...

Of course it will :) The workouts are okay, lots of frustration with weight gain while working out due to not knowing I had Cushings - but now I'm on meds that are helping so I'm actually seeing the scale go down for the first time in a long time!

Anonymous said...

Well that's super! Nothing like a doctor who actually knows his shit to fix you up right.

daynad228 said...

you can always come down and work out with me. new place in town. boot camp is 45 minutes a day, 6 days a week for 10 weeks. I'll let you know when I start how miserable it is. But think of my bangin bod after 10 weeks!

daynad228 said...

One more thing...if she wants to be a hairdresser you had better remind her how many gay men do hair.