Monday, June 18, 2007

Fatherly Advice

I'm always amazed at how my brothers and sister neglect to think about how lucky they are to have our parents. So when Father's day rolled around I called to see what they were bringing to the BBQ - nothing. I ended up rolling out $75.00 on meat (which I don't eat) and another $75 on sides so that my dad didn't have to buy anything - it was utterly ridiculous, I was so ashamed. When pre-prepping all the food, my older brother came over and declared he wouldn't be eating anything that I brought. Nice huh? My little sister finally rolled her Abercrombie a** out of bed about 1/2 an hour before we were supposed to eat, as I hustled in the kitchen to let Dad know that I appreciate him.

As we waited to eat, all my older brother's friends and girlfriends came over. So while he planned on not eating the $125.00 worth of food I bought, they did. With out even a thank-you. And when dinner was done - they all disappeared, leaving me to clean up after 16 people after I cooked all day. I'm not having kids.

At the end of the day, I sat in the living room with just my dad when he made the day worth while. He told me that he knew that this day was all me, and he was grateful. Then we chatted a bit about happenings when it came to RS and Jules, and he gave me this tid bit of advice ...

"An olive tree only has so many branches to pass, how many of those branches are gone before the tree dies?"

Which comes down to stop giving people chance after chance, one or two is fine, but if you keep doing it you're the one that ends up hurt.

Now that's some good fatherly advice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paying for large family meals costs way too much these days.