Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Friends only Friends When ...

Have you ever noticed that some people are only in your life at their convenience? I have a good handful of friends that don't return calls unless they need something. In the recent six months, my phone calls have not been returned until I get a message that works as the follows:

"I just got kicked out of my place ..."
"I think I might be pregnant"
"I was looking for a new job and ..."
"Remember that guy you dated, well I want you to call him and hook us up"
"I was wondering if I could get someone who ..."

I have worked my butt off to make the contacts that I have over the last three years, granted if you need someone I probably have a resource that will give it to you for an affordable price, but still. I have also dated a handful of guys, so it might be damn near impossible to meet someone who I haven't kissed or flashed and I will always provide a bed or drink when something happens to you, but how much of a friend are you if you don't even answer my calls when I call you.

Messages I have left to the same people:

"I just quit my job."
"I just found out XY and Z are gay and I've been dating them"
"I can't have kids."
"I just really need a drink tonight"

And NONE, NONE of these have been returned!

Tonight I went to my old stomping grounds after a long day at work (hour wise, not energy wise) and on my second beer the bartender asked me about a comment I made to him when I left last time. I told him I was never coming back (which I frequented this place at least twice a week and dropped between $25 and $100 each time - depending on how long I was there), and he wanted to know why. I informed him that I am NOT an employee any more and half the staff doesn't know me - therefore, when we are having a conversation, I don't want to hear that they need comps or what not. I also informed him I'm sick of people who pretend to be my friend when I walk in, but then won't return my calls (him included). He jumped on the defensive, saying that he's just busy. Then in the next breath asked me for contacts for a business he's launching.

The bad thing is that I know him and I do miss our friendship, so I will give him those contacts but you just can't help to wonder if he'll ever be there when I need him.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Everybody has "friends" like that. Just use them right back for whatever they're good for, and don't waste your time on them.

DarthImmortal said...

You just have to shake those people off like a dog shakes off fleas. Because they are fleas; they will just leach onto you and suck you dry offering nothing in return.

Hang in there. You are one of the coolest people I have met in the blogging world.

Anonymous said...

Bravo you for being a stand-up friend. Karma, you know? You'll reap what you sow. And I totally didn't mean for that to rhyme.

Anonymous said...

I'll be your best friend and call you back every single time you call me and never ask anything in return... as long as your titties are big enough and you flash them this way whenever I want. I don't have very many friends.

Milwaukee Girl said...

Thanks for the comments guys - I wish I could use them back, bastards never return phone calls!

Total believer in Karma, Tiffany - I attribute my current job to that as well.

Love you too Darth :)

JBS - I think about it ...

Unknown said...

Also... I just wanted to say that I really like your blog! Keep up the good posts!