Monday, July 16, 2007

Lessons from Men about Men

Saturday was interesting. I had seen TW on Thursday, called him on Friday but he didn’t want to go out, we agreed to go out later. Saturday morning AD called and we decided to go to the frolic. After dinner, we didn’t really like what we saw and ended up deciding on going to another local pub. Unfortunately, it’s TW’s pub.

It was already 7:00, so I figured we’d knock down a couple and be out by 9:00, so even if TW would show up, he would have never known. But TW would call, right? I mean, we normally go out on Saturdays, so I'd just tell him where we were.

After a couple Hendrick's and Press cocktails, a tap on my shoulder and both AD & I turned, almost as if in slow motion. It was TW, smiling - "What are you doing here?" Peck on the lips, I explained that AD had suggested it since he had never been there. And that's when the pissing war started - minus the pissing.

I can't fully justify what happened, I mean TW was obviously not going to even call me - he was there to play poker until 5 in the morning, and there really isn't anything going on between me and AD, I mean, I didn't think so.

AD explained the "Man Rules" below:

Incident One: I can't remember his name.

When TW came up, he whispered he couldn't remember AD's name - even though they've met more than 1/2 a dozen times and had just spent all Monday together. I told him, but he proceeded to let AD know that he didn't know his name.

It was explained by AD that this was a male's way of saying "you mean nothing" and not a slight loss of mind.

Incident Two: The cough.

TW sat on the other side of AD and turned his head to cough all over him. AD was incredibly pissed. I tried to talk him off the ledge and he told me this was just another way of claiming his territory.

Incident Three: Join us.

TW went away for awhile but came back about 10 minutes later, "MG, why don't you guys join us at the table?" Nah, I replied. AD and I were just fine where we were. I turned back and AD just laughed, "That's just perpetuating the situation."

"Huh?" I tried to explain that there was no game that I was playing, he obviously had no intention of being with me or talking to me that night, I was just letting him know that I wasn't going to watch him play poker.

AD explained that the invitation was just a way to see where my intentions for the evening laid. I told him that it didn't matter than - because if TW wasn't going to call, obviously I can have other plans.

Incident Four: Make sure you tell me when you leave.

Just before poker started, TW came back, reached down and kissed me. "Tell me when you leave so I can goodbye.

AD just shook his head, "This guy can't stand me. But it's really the fact that I'm here with you."

At this point, I didn't care, I was drunk. And I was sick of the dialog explaining what was happening. I stood up, went to the bathroom and informed TW that I was wearing some new items from Fredrick's so I'd love a call when he was done. I sat back down, took a sip and stood back up. "You really aren't peeing again are you?"

"Nope. Going outside to puke."

I walked about 1/2 a block and started throwing up, there was a gentle hand on my cheek, tugging my hair away and it was AD. "Honey, we're going home. Give me your keys."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Puking your guts out, huh. What were you drinking?

Anonymous said...

This was just a striaght up night of two guys testing which one you like more.

Milwaukee Girl said...

And the winner was ... neither.

Anonymous said...

HA! I didn't think you would come right out and say that. So really, what's wrong with this art guy? He seems nice enough, is he ugly?

Milwaukee Girl said...

No - he's actually the right height, the right attitude, the right everything. Except we've had conversations where I've been clear that I'm looking for a relationship - and I don't think that's really on his priority list.

Anonymous said...

It sounded like he wanted to go out with you. Didn't you post something earlier to that effect?

Milwaukee Girl said...

I'm thinking there might be two different ADs on here, I guess I should choose more effective nicknames - I work with too many art directors ...

Nah - we're just friends.

Anonymous said...

It could be, maybe you need to start using 3letter abbreviations :) Was this the guy who said he pictured you with someone better and tried to give you the toungue?

Milwaukee Girl said...

From here Take Out the Trash? That's the same AD - he said more fun, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about himself. Though he is fun. Maybe I just suck at signals. Which is a definite possibility. Because I'm still on the hype that no one hits on me - I hit on them.

Anonymous said...

No, maybe you had better ask him more directly, because the way you describe him makes it seem like he's into you.