Thursday, July 05, 2007

"Is he a fella or a friend?" MG's Grandma

Nebraska recap first -

It was so interesting, there people work on farms, in corn fields, kill their own chickens and have gigantic families. We had to wear color coded t-shirts for godsake. We ended up visiting the graves of family members we never knew - my dad teared up at his mom's grave. At the end of the trip, Dad filled us in on his childhood. On one hand, I was very sympathetic to his growing up - he was bounced around a lot, forgotten, abandoned. He had to find his own way. On the other hand, I couldn't except how he could do some of the things he did to us growing up knowing he had to go through that. I mean - we're supposed to learn from our pasts, not repeat them. The abuse, the abandonment, everything he went through he put on us. He said he grew up feeling like he was nothing - exactly what he's done to all 4 of us. I mean, granted, he's changed since the accident but still, it's heart wrenching.

We had one last dinner on Sunday night before heading back to the hotel to enjoy a light conversation with a couple family members and pack for our 5am departure. I came back to the room at 10:30, I had a voicemail. I played it and was delighted to hear TW's voice. I called him back promptly.

On Monday, TW and I enjoyed a cocktail at my pub and some bowling before going back to his place and messing around. This time I got a call the next day.

Yesterday I had 2 friends with no plans, so I invited them along to our family cook out. As I pulled out of the drive, TW called and his plans fell through I invited him along to my family's shindig and to my surprise he said yes. He's now met 1/2 my family and they are in love with him.

At one point my grandma who has been fixated on the baby and failing to see her granddaughter kiss in the yard asked if he was a "fella or a friend?" I smiled coyly - "He's a fella."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is this the same grandma that you had the HPV STD conversation with last year?