Monday, July 23, 2007

Barry Bonds doesn't play - but we still have fun!

Of course, things are going to run behind because this isn't your mom and pop tailgate - it's my tailgate. It's 40 people. It's my arrangements, my gig, my friends. So I'm gonna be a bit psycho.

Here's what I don't get - you don't have to bring ANY food - I'm talking it's my $225 tab for brats, burgers, boccas, for chocolate chip cupcakes and devils food cupcakes, for pasta salads and 6 different chips, for dips and salsa, for brownies and for potato salad. I get that you don't have the $15 for the drunk bus because it's "too expensive" - but you really couldn't bring more than a couple beers for yourself or let us borrow your radio? Seriously. Some people tick me off. Especially when they also didn't pay for tickets or refused to share their extra 300 club passes with other people (including myself) - worst part? They can get away with it because they're blood. Besides that incident, we had plenty of booze, plenty of soda, plenty of food, plenty of sun and we left as 38 happy people.

It all started at 8:00am when my "charge" - aka the most perfect man alive (except for the fact that I'm not into bestiality and he is a dog) - woke up and was raring for a walk. I texted his owner that we were good to go by 8:45, she was supposed to pick him up between 9am-9:30am so I could run to the store, vacuum the dog hair out and pick up one of the guys going to the game.

Of course, she was running behind and didn't show up until 10:15, so I was late to pick up my friend. Instead of being at the drunk bus at 10:40, we got there at 10:55 still having to unload all the food, the bean bag game and all the chairs. But it went off with out a hitch.

The girls sent around a collection cup to recoup some of the tailgate costs and we danced, played bagg-o, drank, talked and sang. Then it was time for the game, when I noticed that the 10 tickets I bought had all been passed out (lovely that only 1 had been paid for, isn't it?) and I had none. A handful of people decided to stay outside and drink the free cocktails, so I joined. The Brewers won.

We paced for about an hour until traffic went down then headed downtown to unpack the bus and head off to Festa. It was now 5:00.

Most of us sobered up (I was already) and wandered around, pretending to be Italian and belting lyrics that made no sense. We looked for the biggest Guido - a hairy chest with a gold chain nuzzled into it, a popped collar, white shoes, big rings, lots of gel in the hair. We found a couple dozen.

And then my phone rang and it was TW - his whole family was down there. I wanted to say no, but couldn't help saying yes. So to the lakefront I went ...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, you are the biggest human speed bump who has ever lived! You spent all that money and didn't even get into the game? Tsk, tsk, why not try hanging out with 2 or 3 real friends as opposed to 30 fake ones?

Milwaukee Girl said...

Actually - they ended up collecting money at the game once everyone realized that I paid the price tag - so they were all good friends since the majority contributed. It was more the bloodline that ticked me off - after one of them found out I covered the tab she had the nerve to say "speaking of money - can I have my $125?"

Anonymous said...

So you borrowed $125 from someone?

Milwaukee Girl said...

Kind of - it's my mom. We went shopping and I needed some new running shoes and clothes for work. Since we were out she said I could just pay her when the statement came since she knew I really needed the stuff (you should've seen my heels from my old shoes - ouch). Lesson learned ...

Anonymous said...

Ha! Well, if you owed it to her...

Bella said...

It sounds like you guys had a perfect day.