Monday, April 09, 2007

Meet Pete




On Sunday morning I walked the dog I'm sitting and started boiling the noodles for my homemade pasta salad when "Candy Man" started ringing on my phone. Knife in one hand, I swung over to my phone and noticed it was my dad "Hello?"

"Bring the dog and come over now."

"What?" I said stunned, "I haven't showered and still need to prep food for Easter at Mom's."

"We've got to get out to Genesse Depot and look at puppies. You can shower when you're done."


I quickly put together all my ingredients in a Pick N Save bag and headed on over to my dad's in Franklin.

My sister came over looking like hell, I chucked, "Hung over from yesterday?"

"No me & my boyfriend broke up. He took his stuff and moved out."

I was stunned. They were just together on Saturday having a blast at the tailgate. She was in no mood to talk, so I let her be. With tears in her eyes, she opted out of seeing the puppies, much to my dad's dismay.

We headed out to the farm and found ourselves surrounded by little dogs, chirping for our attention. There was 7 "liver" colored Brittany's and one orange. My dad was determined to get the little liver colored girl, but the little orange boy was determined to be his. As he cuddled a shaking puppy, the orange guy and I played and chased each other. As I saw my dad go down to kiss the little girl, I told the boy that if he wanted to go home with us he had to schmooze that guy. To which he immediately went over and nosed my dad. He was sold.

I asked my dad what he was going to name him, "Easter." He said and smiled. I laughed, "You can't name a boy Easter." He said he sure could, he just paid $500 for the puppy!

When we brought him home my sister and older brother joined in the laughter, so we all got to choose names and figure out which one the little guy liked.

"Easter," My dad called him. He perked up from his stick and ran over and rolled on the ground.

"Fred," My sister called him. He paid no attention.

"Torque," My brother tried, but to no avail.

"Wrench?" My brother tried again.

"Pete!" I yelled, to which the little guy got up from rolling in the grass and promptly nibbled at my finger in between licks.

"I guess it's Petey." My dad said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWW! He's so cute!

Anonymous said...

Good Doggie!