Thursday, March 01, 2007

Accosted.

Blame my suburban ditziness, but I was aware that Milwaukee had a growing homeless population but I never expected to be accosted by three in one night.

Normally, I am that naive person that gives a person at least a couple bucks out of my wallet, but last night I didn't have time to stop at the ATM and was relying on the fact that I'd rack up a $10 tab so I could put it on the old debt card. When I parked my car on North, a gentleman leaving Beans and Barley came right up to me, "Mam, do you have any money?" "No, sorry." "Are you sure?" "Um. Yeah." "But you're going out" (Hurrying up my speed, "To a work function, yes." "Mam?"

I tried not to look back and secretly thought to myself that he might break into my car ... as I left bowling, there was another man on the corner, "Mam?" I must have had a target sign on me, because there was still another one by my vehicle again. I just quickly got in my car, locked the doors and sped away.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's the east side for ya. They figured they would be able to intimidate some money out of you, lil' lady.

Anonymous said...

Even though where I live is a lot smaller, I'm sure, there is a lot of accosting in the downtown area. I feel totally mean blowing them off, but if I'm going to spend my hard earned cash on booze, it's gonna be for me.

Anonymous said...

Haha, right-o girl, my cash, my vodka. But it isn't like that down on the east side of Milwaukee. Them guys are into near-extortion. You would be plenty afraid for your health, because they want you to be. It's tough to explain without experiencing it first hand.

Bill said...

The homeless are harmless. Adopt a blanket policy that you won't give money to anyone who asks, and when they do ask just look them right in the eyes and say "I'm sorry, I can't help you tonight." 98% of the time they'll be grateful that you didn't treat them like they weren't human beings and the other 2% of the time they'll be silent. But don't be scared just because they ask. They will always ask. Nothing to be afraid of, and nothing wrong with saying no.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Bill for saying what I thought was common sense.

BTW, I would assume you are just as likely to get carjacked by the guy you are drinking next to at a bar as you are by homeless person asking for change.

Milwaukee Girl said...

As to just withdrawal the claws a bit, I do understand that you shouldn't give money and maybe to clarify - I actually didn't. As for being carjacked, I never thought I'd be carjacked as much as his persistence in following made me think I'd have a broken window when I got back.

Anonymous said...

have you ever had sex!!!

Anonymous said...

No, most of your commenter's think of these thugs as saintly homeless drunks on some 1950's sitcom with a cup out laying down on the street. These jerks are more akin to mafia shakedown artists following you in a threatening way. I'm not surprised to see that several visitors have more sympathy for the goons than they do for the lady, that's they way people act in Milwaukee. It's part of why crime is on the rise in a major way.

Anonymous said...

I disagree. I've had many interactions with homeless people in many different places. I would classify very very few as thugs or goons. If someone is commiting a crime, call the police. Otherwise, stop being so afraid.

Anonymous said...

Better yet, just avoid the city altogether.