Tuesday, October 03, 2006

My, my, my. The Art of Establishing Territory

Call it primitive nature, but there are ways to establish your territory without the hand-in-the-face, that-man-is-mine, head shaking turn and quick spin around.

Why yes. There are ways. And I got to experience that today.

Still maintaining the majority of my goodness, I've stayed in the city. I prepped last night for my speechs today and headed over to the college at 11.

Normal poise, I do my routines - explain what I do now, how I got there, networking, etc then do a little plug at the very end for the new club I'm a member of.

Time was up - plugged the club and the girl in the front row stood up, hands on hip.

So you're MG. Do you know CB?

This caught me off guard as I shook my head.

Yeah. He mentioned you & this club. He's really nice. I'm an intern with him.


He's good stuff.

That's right, he took a class with you. He comes over to my desk all the time and he's teaching me how to use it. He's always over when he's bored.

Slowly I placed my computer in my bag,"yup he's good stuff."

The words are only 1/2. If you've ever seen someone establish territory, you understand the importance of the hands on the hip, right foot in front a bit and the stern look in the eye. This tells the reciepent the same thing as "B*tch, that's my man."

The professor looked at me after she left and inquired to what that was about - being that we are friends, I inform her, "That guy I've been seeing? - That's who she was talking about."

She shook her head - "Looks like you're not the only one and she just established some major territory!"

Eek. Trying not to go to Madison ...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL! Great mental image of staking out the territory!