Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Today is Wednesday! Plus a bonus recap on a tug boat engineer and poor pick ups.

That means bowling tonight at the Landmark, and some potential making out ... life is good.

Last night my boss and I headed to the Irish Pub for a drink after work, we sat down ordered wine (her) and a beer (me) and chatted a bit before the guy sitting next to us decided to include himself in the conversation. I was a little perturbed by this occasion, as I never get much time with my friend any more and he was by no means was anyone I really wanted to learn more about. In our side conversations we discussed if I should, indeed, return to a non-dating hiatus. Our agreement was no.

She went to the juke box and I pretended to like soccer until dude at the the bar asks me if she's single, "Nope." I replied, "Just moved in with her boyfriend, they're perfect for each other and they are very happy." "Damn. She's so beautiful, of course she's taken." he proceeds.

She comes back and we side track into a catch up on Flower Guy, which he sort of eaves drops on. She leaves for the bathroom and he turns to me, "Are you married?"

"What. Christ no. I'm very single, thank you."

"Can I take you to dinner?"

So here's my thoughts, he's admitted he comes in town for a weekend every 28 days because he operates a tug boat, my second thoughts are if I could, indeed, say no to a bowling make out session, "Because my boyfriend is a tug boat operator." Umm, no. I try to explain that I am, in fact, not in a position to date right now. She returns. He leaves for the bathroom.

"He's very charming." She says, "His story is heartbreaking (forgot to mention he regaled us with a story of how his wife and kids died in a car crash, his brother is a meth head and his other brother is serving 9 years in jail)."

"He's trying to get laid." I snip back.

"I don't think so, why would you say that?"

"Because he first asked me about you, then defaulted to me. Poor dates over the last few years have taught me that." See, I have learned a lesson or two, or twenty. Just sometimes choose not to acknowledge my lessons.

We finish our cocktails and leave.

While this interaction makes for a good story, it did get me to thinking about first impressions and my views of them. When I meet someone I instantly go through a check list of potential compatibility - whether friendship or otherwise - with the opposite sex. Here it is ...

1. Cute? Handsome? Other?
2. Handshake, firm, noodle or otherwise?
3. Speech, possibility of a lisp (note: dated gay guys, this annoys me)
4. Shoulder width - bigger than mine?
5. Height?
6. Conversation - or otherwise, the lack of "like" "dude" and "totally" in a conversation.

This guy fit the list as so ...
1. Other, maybe you could clean him up.
2. Noodle shake, not cute at all.
3. No lisp.
4. Skinny.
5. Tall.
6. Did not use the three "no" words; however, sad stories suck.

Final conclusion, no on friendship and sexual levels.

3 comments:

DarthImmortal said...

You are finally using your instincts. Good job!!

Bill said...

you'd be struggling trying to get laid too if you operated a tug boat.

Anonymous said...

Most guys at the bar are lookin' to get laid. Of those, most are willing to say whatever it takes to get the girl. Not that they are all bad... but most of them probably are :) But come on, tugboat operator? Please. How many tugboats operate in our harbor, maybe three. And tugboats don't usually leave their home port anyhow. This guy just didn't want you findin' him after he gave you syphallis.