Saturday, July 15, 2006

Social Experiment

As I was pounding away during my work out I contemplated how I got to where I am and all the mistakes I've made and the dreams that I've had that have since taken it's place on the back burner while I try to learn how to be a grown up.

My dream since I was 12 was to write my own magazine. One not devoted to losing 10 lbs in a week, relationship advice and scary herion-addicted or size 0-2 models. A magazine that fit in the age group of trying to fit in. There's this odd period in women pubs that doesn't occupy the certain lives of 17-22 year olds and I thought it would be a good target. It's that age range where "Seventeen" and "Teen People" think they fit, but around that age you get tired of reading commentaries on how to insert tampons (sorry guys) or weird questions about virginity and sex. It's also in this age range where you pick up "Cosmo" to occupy the void and seem more grown up but the information doesn't necessarily apply or all to compelling to find out why your life sucks.

Being quite a few years from the 22 mark I still find this void and have decided to at least put some effort into an outlet for this pub. I've written a couple articles, tucked back in the catacombs of my iDisk over the years thinking that at some point I would try to get them published or publish them myself. A few years back a friend and I put serious consideration into a magazine after one too many Purple Haze martinis and contemplated the life of publishing at the pool over spilt strawberry margaritas.

But today I've decided to change it all - I'm going to try and start a blog-zine. Using the lovely free service that is blogspot to post an online magazine and also make a comparable lovely PDF version for each month. Here's where you come in - I need contributors. So if you're interested in joining my "Social Experiment" please comment below - BZ I totally expect you to contribute because I LOVE you're writing, same with Darth as a great male contributor and all you lovely gals like Liz & Tiffany.

Here's the concept: A magazine written for people that want to not be cursed for not having boyfriends or husbands (or girlfriends or wives for that matter) that centers around opinions of real people all in one-clickable area. There will be the "normal" areas found in any woman's pub - sans the celebrity photos and interviews at this point I'm assuming - such as:

Sex
Relationships
Being Single
Horoscopes
A Man's Advice
etc

But I also want social/political commentary - real pictures of real people - ideas on saving money, etc. I'd appreciate any help on categories and any contribution that anyone would like to make.

Hey - let the Social Experiment begin!

2 comments:

BZ said...

AWWWH SHOOT! I got a shoutout! HAHAHA I'm honored. So, where do I begin? Or what do I do?

DarthImmortal said...

I'll be your manly sex expert. Women can write to me with their man troubles and I can give them a man's perspective. That would be fun!!