Thursday, March 23, 2006

Word gets around.

At a little networking event last night, my old boss's name got dropped by a person I was speaking to. It was funny because he said their personalities just didn't match - which was my arguement all along. I get along with the majority of people I meet, it actually does not happen very often that I honestly don't like someone. But here, this guy's had two encounters with two people around the same age at the same point in their career and he disliked them both. I think it's funny how he believes it was us and not him.

Yesterday was an enlightenment. I went to a meeting with an agency in the morning. I realized I was completely brainwashed by my agency when I was there. My old agency wanted to be the most integrated agency in Milwaukee, but this place had them tenfold. Granted, bigger agency, but I realized my old place can't legitimately make that announcement because the new place had a finer definition of integration.

Then, to go back to the networking meeting, while introducing myself around people often asked where I worked. I told them with joy; however, they followed up with "How long have you been there" and then "Where did you work before that?" When I would mention the name, 90% of them got a disgusted look on thier face. That's when I realized I shouldn't be afraid of what is going to be said about me because they don't seem to have the influence that I once believed they had. It makes me sad because there are a lot of great people that work there, but I guess they were right, "Word gets around."

No comments: