Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Fire House

Last night I joined a friend for a co-workers going away party at the new location of “The Firehouse” in Milwaukee off of 35th Street and Forest Home. After a couple of cocktails it dawned on me that the new me might not be good for business. In this industry (Advertising) people are surrounded with fake things - images, taglines, articles – that they don’t want their extra time being filled with more fake things. It’s hard enough to take the cat by the horns and believe things that come out of people’s mouths than to be filled with more fake people.

I was me, in a bit better garb, and it worked just fine. In front of me stood what we like to call “The Whales” – the big catches with lots of people and lots of money, and while I appeared professional the cocktails in my system didn’t make everything I said necessarily that way. And it worked.

Me in nicer clothes may be all the classy I need.

No comments: