Tuesday, August 14, 2007

End of an era.

Well it's official. I'm "in a relationship" in the sense that I'm someone's girlfriend. Scary? Yes. Exciting? Yes.

Di came into town last night for a jewelry show (aka an expensed trip to hang out with me) and met TW, to which she gave a thumbs up which is what I needed to officially move over. But let's recap the details of happenings.

Last week was the zoo, Wednesday was the fair. I was aching for some quality time with TW, but I realized being a dad comes first. Thursday was the usual fair, a couple drinks, a little cuddling, and a romp in the sack.

Friday I prepped for our family reunion and stayed low-key. Saturday we met up at 1:00 to head to my mom's and enjoyed a couple cocktails in the sticky heat. As new family members that TW hadn't met approached I just introduced him as simply "TW" - still not knowing how to define what was going on. After a couple rounds of Bagg-o my Aunt said she wanted to partner with my "boyfriend" - I chose the route of not arguing the title and he continued to kick our a** at it.

At the end of the night it was off to his family's birthday party. Right before I left home I had gotten in a bit of a blow-out with my mom so I was ready to drink. Sipping a cocktail I overhear TW talking to someone that I don't know ...

TW: "My girlfriend? She's over there. Hang on. MG?"
MG: (Big sip of drink) "Yeah?"
TW: "Come here and meet someone." (walk over) "This is my girlfriend, MG."

Gulp.

In one sense I smiled, oh my goodness - I'm someone's girlfriend? In another sense I was petrified. We didn't discuss this! I haven't come to terms with letting go of all my doubts, breaking down my boundaries, having someone around, being able to expect to go to big outings with my, gulp again, boyfriend. It's been four years since this has happened, and he hasn't met Di or Biz or #1. I can't have a boyfriend until they say it's okay. And then back to the fuzzy feeling, I guess he really does like me.

After that we actually went to a dance club and topped off the evening with consuming too many alcoholic beverages. It suddenly was apparent that I wasn't going to be getting any tonight from my boyfriend. In fact, he ended up puking all the way home. I got him up to his room, undressed him and he darted off to the bathroom. I thought he was going to drown himself in the toilet. The night ended with me running downstairs and yelling for NG to find me a bucket ... NOW. All we could find was a pitcher - but it would do.

When he finally laid down and his stomach calmed a bit he asked me to stay. That's when I realized that I could really start to like this guy and he might be worth my fear of letting someone in. I laid down, fully dressed and rubbed his back and as he started snoring, I relaxed.

Sunday morning I went by his ex (this post will follow) to help clean up after the party. When the tent was broken down and the food thrown out we sat down for a chat. I wasn't sure I should be in this place, but here I was listening to her perspective on what happened.

When I was done, I got in my car and asked myself what exactly I was doing. That wasn't the right step at all. I stopped at the gas station and got some coffee and juice for the poor hung over kids and headed back to TW's.

No comments: