Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Because Titles DO Matter

I love the antidote that titles don't matter - but they really do. We had an internal debate at work saying that you could have whatever title you wanted, because it was "just a title." My argument is that it's not just a title.

For instance, now that I'm a "girlfriend" I'm not pursuing random make out sessions on top of the Golden Tee Machine or even teetering on the verge of thinking about making out with someone.

And today that became increasingly true in the job title category. There's a big difference between an Art Director that has worked at his title and one that is just handed out. Recently, a low-level Graphic Designer with no agency experience was cast into the "internal Art Director" position. Instantly I think his head expanded so it couldn't even fit through the door.

All of the sudden he was the king. He ignored processes, wanted to know why he wasn't conferred on a project and then had the nerve to tell me how to do my job.

Said "Art Director" has taken more than his fair share of time off of work. We get comp time so it's no biggie, but in between August and September I've rearranged his teaching schedule more times than I've actually been able to schedule his sessions, so of course it's a tad bit difficult to get people into his courses.

Lately he's informed me that he needs more people in his classes, needs classes more often and then today - told me that I had not appropriately informed him of Boot Camp. I should have emailed, brought it up in the staff meeting and asked permission. Tu-shay, probably is true but it's been scheduled for 4 months but hell, let me just cover your a** one more time and you can lecture me about the appropriate things I should do.

Yeah, Great.

See, I didn't mind being lectured to by a seasoned Art Director because they have reasons to say the things they should. They've been put through the crap machine and earned those stripes. I don't just listen, I respect.

What I don't respect is a low-brow designer who had the nerve to tell me I was just a "coordinator" or informs me what he will and will not do when training is how I make my money.

Oh, and guess what? He helps himself to my beers at the softball games - boy isn't touching a single one of my beers next week. F'Off, buy your own - I've been supplying you for what now? 7 weeks? You make more than me to begin with and I'm just a "coordinator" in your eyes while you're a mutha'fuc*n' Art Director.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I nominate you queen of all you survey. Make him bow down and kiss your hand next time you see him.