Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Day Before ...

Tomorrow I give my deposition for my old employer, today I chit chatted with the lawyer over lunch. I think I should do okay, but I am a bit nervous about it! There's so much to remember from three plus years ago and I'm hoping I remember correctly. I have to remember, "As I remember it ..." and that it's okay to say "I'm not sure."

Not an overly exciting weekend, spent way too much on Mom for Mother's Day (not that she didn't deserve it - but $250 is a lot of money). My little brother was supposedly broke and decided not to buy her anything. Nice kid huh? He still lives at home and is by far the most spoiled 19 year old I've ever known. The kid has never worked more than 10 hours in a week and has no want to because she does everything for him. So I took him shopping and told him to pick up whatever he wanted and I'd buy it - $50.00 later, he was actually happy. But then, I noticed he went out and bought himself a bunch of things which just made me angry. I may not be broke, broke anymore but I still don't have extra money. Spending that $50.00 meant for going groceries for two weeks for me, the least he could have done was reimburse me $10.

But enough about that, on the topic of being used let me take you back about 8 months ago. I had a best friend for over four years, it was a pretty one-sided relationship (me being the side, of course) however, I enjoyed her company and put up with her antics. I had been the one to bail her out of jail, pick her up drunk from bars, turn her courthouse wedding into a real wedding (I made her a boquet, drove her, got her all the something old, something news, etc) and when she showed up at my door in July with her bags in her hand and no place to live, I let her move in. Three months later I was being sued by the ex-boyfriend and was broker than anyone I knew. I didn't eat, I didn't travel, I didn't do anything that cost me money. She had never given me a dime, though my apartment costs went up (nothing was included) from her being there all the time, and she agreed to take over my lease because I was in dire streits. The day we were supposed to turn over the lease, I came home early and she was moving out - she wasn't even going to tell me. She left me stuck in an apartment where she had stained the carpet with red wine, gotten hair dye on the walls and more. I had no choice but to move because I couldn't afford it anymore, I argued with the rental agency but they wouldn't let me out of the lease. I left 2 weeks later by breaking the lease and received a letter that there was supposedly over $500 worth of damages to the place (repainting & carpet replacement). We didn't talk for two months after that. Then out of the blue I get a call saying she was sorry and she'd make it up to me by buying me a drink.

I stupidly said yes. She met me out but forgot her ID. Gave me a $20, I got beers and gave her the change. 20 minutes later she claimed I never did, threw a fit and I got fed up and went to the ATM to withdrawl $20 to make her happy. Then she had the nerve to use me as a taxi service (OK, I enabled it, I know) by driving her 45 minutes away from my house. I was totally fed up - this was her making it up to me? Costing me more money?

Since that incident, we hadn't spoken. Yesterday I got a call saying she read the local paper and saw the write up about my new job - she wanted to get together and hang out. I'm still wrestling with the idea ... even though I know it's just because she needs something right now.

And that's been my week so far!

3 comments:

DarthImmortal said...

I think you already know you have to cut this leech loose. Who knows what kind of BS she will get you involved with. I once had to let a long time friendship I had to let go because of similar stuff plus he was a habitual liar. You need to find a cute guy with a fat wallet.

Unknown said...

Forget the rich guy! It's more fun anyways to know that you bring home your own bacon.

Let the mooch go! Tell her to take her $20 and shove it where the sun doesn't shine!

Anonymous said...

what happened with the deposition? I copy and pasted that word cause I'm slow.