Tuesday, May 23, 2006

And in the thirteenth hour ...

In the 13th hour, I'm exhausted and the day may be over but not the week.

So here I am, at the beautiful house I'm sitting the dogs at, on the comfy chair, watching Tivo-ed House, with my laptop on my lap. My mind is still at work, going a random 30 miles an hour - jumping from sales, to testimonials, to anticipation over what my students will say tomorrow at lunch for my "review."

It's been almost two years since I was in college, anticipating the review of classes and here I am nervous over what they will say. I must admit, this hasn't been my finest hour as a mentor. Between the job change and the hours change, I haven't been as accessible as I usually am. I even got the flu and slept through a meeting. After talking with former students they suggested that I'm too accessible, no longer making me a mentor but a companion. While this is good for connection's sake, it is not good for viewing me as a professional. Other mentors request that students meet them during business hours, at their offices and at their convenience. For me it's after hours, weekends, it's traveling out of my range. 1/2 way into the semester I actually became a professional but I started off not as one which can't be good for a review. It's funny how three students, will make or break my day.

That is my over-tired rant of the evening. Now it's one last run with the dogs and to bed I go!

No comments: