Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Devil in a Blue Dress

If someone came up to you and offered you a guaranteed 4K more than you make now, with the potential of $30K more than you make in a year and said they'd also take away a lot of the Bull Shit you deal with on a daily basis, what would you think?

Here's the basic play. A offers me a job, tells me the rate, I say no. A comes back, offers me another job. I still say no. A comes back a third time and says, "Now you can make 30K more this year than you make now."

The job is a lot less hours, a lot less bull sh*t, a higher title.

My job now has a couple perks I wouldn't see - paid cell phone, Mac computer (there it's PC), industry I love, people I know, marketing and events.

But the two key perks in question - less crap and more money - are they worth trading that in? I love events & marketing, I sell so that I can do those things and generate more business. I hate dealing with the crap that's going on lately though - it seems like every time I minutely screw up people call it to everyone's attention.

What's a girl to do?

4 comments:

MD said...

in a heartbeat.

As long as the money is equal or within 10%, I would jump in a heartbeat. Leaving behind the BS will add years to your life, your food will taste better, you'll get much better sleep.

I say go for it, stick it to your bosses!!

Who's to say in a few years you can't go back to your current industry (different employer natch.) Do it!

Milwaukee Girl said...

I'm hearing a lot of that, but there's also the fix that another temp-employee would be ideal for this position and he might be out of a job - I almost feel that I'm obligated to tell him as a friend.

Oh - and my commute is 2 minutes now - to there it's over 1/2 an hour!

MD said...

ohhhhhh Yeah,that is a big wrinkle. How much do you like this guy?

I didn't realize there were so many factors.

I guess I'd say the big question is, which one will make you happier? I think happiness is often overlooked with jobs. You might be willing to ignore the commute if you're jumping out of bed everyday to head to a job you love!

MD said...

Oh, could your temp friend take over your job?