Friday, February 29, 2008

Continuing the change.

The BF did not come over Tuesday due to the on-set of a cold. It wasn't this item that ticked me off, it was that he should have said the likelihood was low and let me go to bed after my second 12 hour day - instead I not only stayed up to clean but also moved my car. Not cool.

Wednesday I got loaded and when I hadn't heard anything by 11:00 - I called him for an attempt at a booty call. He turned me down flat. I told him it was fine, I read the book (He's not that into you).

Thursday was another 12 hour day and an exhausting meeting with our Financial Planner where I admitted that I had in fact been offered two other positions - one for 10K guaranteed more than I make now and one for $12K with the potential of $20K. I told him that I thought long and hard about what I deal with on a daily basis and referred back to what an old boss told me, "Never leave for money - leave for experience" and that I'm not sure my experience was done yet at C2. By 7:00 I was tired & drained and headed home.

JF called me, a regular attendant of my myspace blog, to find out what was going on from my sporadic and non-informing postings. I explained the situation including the non-return on the potential booty call.

"He turned down a drunk MG time? Something is wrong with him"

If you're new to this blog, JF is Just a Friend - hence the moniker - one that is similar to me and that we'd occasionally mess around together out of boredom and such long periods of single-ness. "You were seriously the best blow job I've ever gotten." That's something I needed to hear as the lack of sexual interest in me by the BF had me not only feeling unattractive but un-sex kitten like as well.

I hung up the phone, turned on lost and started to sleep. My phone rang with a text - 608 area code. That's right folks, he's back.

Ironic how at these weird times he always pops in. Not that I'd do anything. Technically we're both respectively in relationships at this point even though both have faltered closer to the single line. Needless to say, I wasn't in the mood for banter - I was in the mood for sleep so I stopped short of any callus behavior.

At 8:47 my phone did ring to a number I didn't recognize. Yes, that's right folks, I deleted the BF straight off the phone. I ignored it and he left a message. I didn't return the call.

Today he called around 1:30 while I was in a meeting asking if we could go out tonight, I responded via text that "We'll see - might go out with Steph from HS" - an old friend that contacted me via myspace 3 weeks ago and I haven't seen in 10 years.

And that's where we leave it at this point in the story when it comes to the relationships. But, much like my life, when I get a light bulb moment it factors into multiple areas - including my job.

Every place has it's ups and downs, don't get me wrong. I do like my job still but there's only so many times that you can get pulled into an office and talked about what went wrong or who did what or who said what when you really feel the pressure. Next to that is what 2 of my bosses have recently said - they've used the age factor as a negotiating tip, something I'm familiar with being not only unethical but also illegal. I was told by one that I make "good money for MY AGE" and another that I was too young to want more than 2 weeks of vacation - both of which balance, in a sense of the other. It's these topics that really make me look back at those offers - these people offered me a pricing based on what I do not how old I am. I technically only have one week of vacation (but with comp time I'm allowed to travel a lot) and I technically make very little compared to what (a) the sales guy before me would have made and (b) what my percentages say. But as I said, I'm sticking to the place because there's more to learn - even while my expenses get sliced & diced.

That's pretty much the end-deal of what's going on - who knows where it may all lead.

2 comments:

MD said...

Are these other jobs similar to what you're doing now?? Who knows what kind of experience you'd pick up there! To be honest, I don't think your bosses respect you. The fact that they keep bringing up your age tells me they think you're young and naive and they're obviously trying to exploit that. Stick it to them!!! There aren't a lot of things I like about my job, but I love my boss. Sometimes, the grass IS greener on the other side!

Milwaukee Girl said...

I actually love my bosses, which is the hard part of decisions - while I don't agree with my age being used as a negotiating or excuse factor - it's difficult to decide when experiences begin and stop (especially with a non-compete in hand)