Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Big Freaking Babies

This is a little bit of a rant post.

Lately, I've covered a lot for an employee at work - this past week it's been a lot more than usual. Thursday was a call that she was running late, could I come in and set up? Sure. Friday it was that she wanted to leave early, could I stay late and work for her? I guess. Sunday she told me she was sick, but wasn't sure if she was going to call in - basically meaning, can you go in early just in case? So I went to work early.

Here's the problem. I work a job that is legitimately a 40 hour salary position. If you go over, you get comp time. I'm always over, meaning I always have comp time. This seems like a great thing, but they don't technically want you to work over because (a) you get burnt out and (b) you get bonus vacation days when you could be making sales. I hate comp time - I don't like not working, but I'm really asked to take it. That being said, that means eveytime I come in early to do another person's job, they are giving me vacation time. Would you want to give someone vacation time for a job that someone else is supposed to do? No.

Plus, it's an obvious sign of being taken advantage of. It doesn't matter what I have planned, it's assumed I'll cover and I've had it. Where's my return on investment? I'm also supposed to drop everything to take care of her needs right away. For instance, I was working on a quote and our specials board yesterday when the sick employee went on chat to have me help her with something. Great for her, being sick and trying to work but the conversation went like this:

Her: "Can you help me with something?"
MG: "Sure, but I'm busy right now so it'll have to wait."
Her: "Okay"
Her: "How long?"
Her: Just a bit later, "Are you there?"

So I drop what I'm doing to assist her immediately - in finding a book for another employee. Wouldn't it have made more sense for her to tell the person she was helping where the book was instead of using me?

Then this morning was the all too familiar, a person called for her (returning her call). "Oh just confirm it with her." Turns out it's not a confirmation at all - it was a confusing message about a class. I felt that I needed to take care of it but had no clue, so I did the best I could - all while trying to get my AM stuff done. I ended up arranging it wrong, but it could be easily remedied and I got it taken care of it.

So now I'm busy, trying to get work done when the following chat ensues (and this is pretty much verbatim, because I saved it):

Her: "Are you pissed at me or something?"
MG: "No, working."
Her: "Why are you being so short and rude to me?"
MG: "Because I'm trying to work and I don't like when someone calls for you and I have to take care of it while I'm trying to do follow ups and quotes." - That's right, who suddenly grew a backbone?
Her: "you didn't have to take care of it.. i could've done it"
Her: "why did you do it? i could have taken care of it"
MG: "because you said - just get her information"
Her: "no i didn't.. I SAID i was just calling to confirm. You were already picking up the phone anyways.. i'll remember that .."
MG: "miscommunication. Done and over with."
Her: "what you said was rude"
Her: "i won't ever ask you to do anything else for me.."

Now, I was going to reply, "Have you not noticed me covering your ass Thursday, Friday and yesterday?" But then I thought I wasn't going to get in a fight with a 20 year old.

I keep thinking if I was like this five years ago. I don't think I was. I love that the chat has threats in it "I'll remember that ..." Makes me want to scream, "Remember all the shit I do for you!"

GRR.

On a happy note ... my friend is coming in from New York tomorrow for a couple days! I'm so excited! I haven't seen her since I was in New York in November. She's also coming to an awards ceremony on Thursday night which will be great to have a friend tag along with!

So tomorrow will be a happy post!

2 comments:

DarthImmortal said...

I break thumbs for $25 a pop. You might be able to find a coupon for a buy one get one. LOL!!

Anonymous said...

You gotta start posting more gurl, don't you know I'm bored at work. This is like a sitcom and you're Jennifer Aniston and I'm waiting for you to finally get laid.