Friday, April 11, 2008

Hmmm.

Micromanagement is a management style where a manager closely observes or controls the work of their employees, generally used as a derogatory term.[citation needed] In contrast to giving general instructions on smaller tasks while supervising larger concerns, the micromanager monitors and assesses every step, and avoids delegation of decisions. Micromanagement is often easily recognized by employees, but micromanagers rarely view themselves as such.

Micromanagement is a management style where a manager closely observes or controls the work of their employees, generally used as a derogatory term.[citation needed] In contrast to giving general instructions on smaller tasks while supervising larger concerns, the micromanager monitors and assesses every step, and avoids delegation of decisions. Micromanagement is often easily recognized by employees, but micromanagers rarely view themselves as such.

That's what's going on! Micromanagement from 3 sides. I talked with 2 other employees yesterday and they vented the same frustrations.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

MG-Don't know you or your work experience, but from what I've read about your work on here I think my company has an opening you might be interested in. I work at an interactive marketing agency in the third ward. What's the best way to get a hold of you for job opportunities? You should create an anonymous "Get MG a new job" email account so we can send you stuff ;)

MD said...

GRRRRR! I hate micromanagers!! My current boss is sooo hands off, yet she's always there when you need her. Best boss I've ever had! But, there is a supervisor and one senior associate (who thinks she's a supervisor) that are constantly up everyone's butts about what they're doing.

Anonymous said...

So has your boss always been this way or is this a recent change? Scary - MG you should bolt before you get shown the door. Thats usually the next step.

Milwaukee Girl said...

Two of them I knew about - the third is a recent ... but I think she always has been. It's so hard trying to balance something I know I'm good at, what I've done, the decent cash and all my friends in the industry against feeling like crap when I wake up because I'm afraid I might screw up and get written up again ...