Wednesday, November 04, 2009

No Need for Nerves

My stomache was in knots. The time I have been dreading since starting my new job in August had arrived. Here we were hosting an event and my old employer, as well as 2 others, were coming. Millions of things ran through my head - don't slip on the non-disclosure, be cordial but still explain why we're better, don't buy into the fake nice.

And sure enough the event started and only one was there. I went about my normal sales routine, sat quietly and began to watch the presentation. About 25 minutes in - they arrived. Of course, we were out of chairs so I hurried to get more to seat two butts that were not paying attention, just playing on iPhones and on computers. But I took a deep breath, I'm good at my job, it'll be fine.

And it was.

At the end I had a lot of class questions and I parlayed them as appropriately as possible. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her standing there, a fake "good to see you" and "nice space" followed, completely generic calls for our industry. I went back to my sell. The other girl who works for her was also there - "MG, don't know if you remember me ..." I stopped her short, "Thank you for coming girl-who-I-went-to-bat-for-when-they-weren't-sure-they-were-going-to-hire-you-and-was-followed-by-my-abrupt-"volunteer"-resignation, of course I remember you." Smiled, shook a hand and went back to business.

I pushed the fuel that burned in my belly out of my life, felt my shoulders relax and have decided that you all were right - it's time to move on. I can't shelter my reputation they so calously trashed by harboring angst, instead I explain simple things - my products are half their price and come with MORE instruction than they give. My facilitators are just as "experts" in their industry and are certified. My company is actually woman-owned and WBENC certified.

That is all for now! Follow my multi-daily updates at milwgirl on Twitter.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one can follow your twats at work.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know, I stumbled upon your blog and have been enjoying it! I've started from the beginning and am using your blog as great break material from work. :-) So there is a gal in Michigan who really enjoys your writing and hopes you continue to post!

Dylan H. said...

Very good information and you relate to the results as well, I will follow you and hope you don't fail me, I am a special blogger.

Anonymous said...

So this is how the story ends... Lame.

Umar Nadeem said...

nice post your blog is good with nice contents i like it

fashion

Anonymous said...

No update in 3 years.... Must have grown out of the drama stage....